Monday, March 11, 2013

Technology can help cater to a range of learning styles in the classroom........


This is week nine in the journey of Web skills course; almost close to the end. Hopefully, I did justice to the course requirements. This week, we had very fruitful discussion on learning style/multiple intelligences and how these can be catered to through technology. For the purpose, we had to support or argue on technology can help cater to a range of learning styles in the classroom. We had very fruitful discussion over it. All the friends posted their view points. Mainly, I got chance to learn different kinds of learning style. I got to know there are many learning style but among them I found there are eight kinds of learning style. They are: Visual/Spatial, Verbal-Linguistic, Logical /Mathematical, Bodily/Kinesthetic, Musical/Rhythmic, Intrapersonal, Interpersonal and Naturalistic. It is unbelievable that I got more score on Naturalistic and intrapersonal learning style while checking about mine and in the same way; my friends have their own learning style. So, it proves that no individual are alike the same. They differ from each other. The best way for teacher is to be versatile. Try to address all kinds of students' learning style.

 

For me, I agree the point; technology can help cater to a range of learning styles in the classroom because it serves to enable through creation of learning objects and extend learning by providing "learning by doing" and "learning by seeing" environment. Now, it raises the question if every person has their own learning style obviously teachers do have their style. In this case, don't their learning style affects in teaching? I believe learning style consists of distinctive behaviors which serve as indicators of how person learn from the environments. It also gives signs as to how a person's mind operates. Of course, all the teachers have a personal learning style. If learning style operates person's mind, it is true which can limit their vision of other possibilities in the classroom and their understanding of different types of students and also can restrict their choice and interpretation of teaching techniques.

 

One of my friend said that she is has got lowest marks in visual/spatial style but she uses videos, maps, images in her classroom. She is true; we can see teachers are trying to address the needs of all types of students inside the classroom. I think, first of all teachers must learn to honor their individual learning styles and secondly, they must attempt to facilitate the true learning style of the learner. I'm sure, if my friend is addressing the needs of individual students, she is acting as an "instrument of thought", and she is facilitating them from her conscious part of mind. Actually, that is not what she wants and believes which she doesn't know either as it lies in her unconscious mind.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sharmila,

You have done great justice to the assignments and tasks in the Webskills course. Your contributions to the online discussion are much valued. You always put forth your best efforts in all assignments, and I feel that I have witnessed a great deal of growth in you since the beginning of this 10 week course.

You should be proud of yourself. I know I'm proud of you!

I wish you all the best!

Courtney

Unknown said...

Hello Courtney,

Thank you very much for your remarks. If you say, I have a great deal of growth in myself, I believe so....:) I'm also feeling I'm doing good on it and I have learnt many things. This is all happening because of you. You became a great mentor for me. Every week, your encouraging words would boost up my confidence and finally I did.

Thanks a lot!
Sharmila